About 2021 DIRISA Datathon
The 2021 DIRISA Student Datathon Challenge was held virtually under the theme of ‘Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education’ .
9 Universities participated in the datathon, the universities were :
- WITS University, University of Johannesburg (UJ)
- Tshwane University of Technology (TUT)
- University of Mpumalanga (UMP)
- North West University (NWU)
- Central University of Technology (CUT)
- Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT)
- University of Zululand (UniZulu)
- Vaal University of Technology (VUT)
Technical mentors for the datathon were Miss Mahlatse Ratsome and Mrs Melise Steyn. There were four judges in the panel namely Miss Noluvuyo Gqadu of Code Ngwana, Dr Simo Mthethwa a lecturer at the University of Kwazulu-Natal and Dr Kushata Ntswaitsile of the University of Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.
The prizes for the 2021 SDC were sponsored by IBM. The prizes were awarded as follows:
- 1st Prize went to Team SHODAN of Sol Plaatjie University. Each team member received R8000, a total of R32 000 for the team.
- 2nd team prize went to Purple Code of Rhodes University with each team member receiving R5000 and a total of R20 000 for the team.
- 3rd team prize went to Team Code Fellas from the University of Johannesburg and each team member received R3000 equating to a team prize of R12 000.